A Resource for Wisconsin Voters

Voting Guide

Read our voting guide: in English | in Spanish | in Hmong


Getting Started

So you want to vote in Wisconsin? Great! Here’s how: 

You are eligible to vote if you:

  • Will be 18 years old by Election Day,
  • Are a U.S. citizen, and
  • Have resided in Wisconsin for at least 28 days before the election you’re planning to vote in.

You cannot vote in Wisconsin if you:

  • Have been convicted of a felony and are currently “on paper.” You can vote again once your sentence is fully completed (including finishing probation or parole),
  • Have been declared mentally incapable to vote by a judge, or
  • Have cast a bet or wager on the election.

What does it mean to Reside in Wisconsin? 

Residing in Wisconsin means you’ve lived in the state for at least 28 days, and you currently intend to remain here. That doesn’t mean that you have to intend to live here forever, just that you’re not currently intending to move to another state. 

College Students:  

You can choose whether you want to vote at your school address or at your parents’ address (just not both, of course). 

And if you’re going to school here, why wouldn’t you want to vote here? State and local officials in Wisconsin will be making the rules that affect your education and day-to-day lives at school! Don’t you think you should have a say in all that?

If you’ve been convicted of a crime: 

You are only disqualified from voting if you’ve been convicted of a felony and are still serving a sentence, whether that’s incarceration, parole, or probation. If you’re “on paper,” you cannot vote. Once you’re “off paper,” you are eligible to vote (unless your conviction was for treason or bribery). You do not need to do anything to restore your right to vote – you automatically have the right to vote as soon as you’re off paper. 

If you’ve been convicted of a misdemeanor, you do not lose your right to vote.

Got questions? Give us a call at 608-336-3232. We are here to help!

Registering to Vote

The first step to voting in Wisconsin is registering to vote. If you’re already registered, double check your registration status here – just to be safe!

How to register online:

  • If you have an unexpired Wisconsin DMV-issued license or ID card that shows your current address, you can register online here
  • Just click on “Register To Vote” and follow the steps on the website.
  • If you need help, give us a call on the Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232. We are here to help! 

How to register by mail:

  • If you don’t have a Wisconsin DMV-issued license, or ID, no worries! You can register by mail. It’s easy, safe, and simple. 
  • If you have a printer at home, print and fill out this form. If you don’t have easy access to a printer, call your municipal clerk and ask them to send you one—they will send it to you with a postage-paid return envelope!
  • Once you’ve filled out the application, mail it to your municipal clerk – and make sure to include a copy of your proof of residence
  • A proof of residence is an official document that includes your full name and your current residential address. You probably already have lots of acceptable documents hanging around, such as: 
    • A gas, electric, or cell phone bill; 
    • A bank or credit card statement; 
    • A paycheck or pay stub; 
    • A check or document mailed from the local, state, or federal government (like a stimulus check, Social Security check, Medicare or BadgerCare correspondence, or vehicle registration); 
    • And many more! 
  • Check out the “Registering to Vote: Proof of Residence” section below if you have questions!

How to register in-person at your Clerk’s Office, during Early Vote, or on Election Day: 

There are three ways to register in person!

  1. You can go to your municipal clerk’s office to register in person during their normal business hours (except during the three days right before an election).
  2. Once early voting starts, you can also register at any early voting location in your municipality and then vote in person right there!
  3. And, on election day, you can register in person at your assigned polling location and then cast your ballot then and there! Just be sure to bring your proof of residence and your photo ID for voting — more on that in the “Photo ID Information” section below!

Registering to Vote: Proof of Residence

To register to vote, you must provide proof of Wisconsin residence that includes your full name and current Wisconsin address

You probably already have lots of acceptable documents hanging around, such as:

  • A current and valid State of Wisconsin Driver License or State ID card;
  • Any document mailed from the government (like SSI, the DMV, a traffic ticket, tax return, federal stimulus check, a letter from a public library or a public school, etc.);
  • A utility bill, cell phone bill, bank statement, or credit card statement;
  • A paycheck, pay stub, or unemployment check;
  • A student ID and either a fee receipt dated within the last nine months or a Certified Student Housing List from the school, or;
  • Your residential lease (only acceptable if you’re registering in-person).

You can check out a longer list of acceptable proof of residence documents here.

If you register in person, you can show the clerk your proof of residence electronically on your phone or computer. 

Proof of residence is ONLY required to register, not to vote. But remember, if you’re planning to register in-person at the polling place and then vote, you need to bring proof of residence with you. 

Voting By Mail (Absentee)

Every voter in Wisconsin can vote by mail – no excuse needed! All you need to do is request an absentee ballot.   

  • You can request your absentee ballot online here
    • Jump down to the next section for the simple steps for requesting an absentee ballot online!   
  • If you’ve never voted absentee before, you will need to take a picture of your photo ID and upload it to MyVote. It’s easiest to do this on your smartphone to quickly upload that photo. 
  • You can also request an absentee ballot by email or the mail. If you do that, be sure to either attach a picture of your photo ID to the email or include a printed copy of your photo ID in the envelope! 
    • Hop down two sections for simple steps on how to request a ballot by mail!
  • Important note: If you have previously requested an absentee ballot (like more than 2 million other Wisconsinites), you do not need to submit your ID again unless you’ve moved! 
    • If you’ve moved, you probably need to update your registration at your new address and provide both proof of residence and photo ID. If that’s you, give us a call at the Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232 so we can help you get it done 100% right.

How to request an absentee ballot online:

  • Go to the online request page here.  
  • Put in your first name, last name, and birthday.
  • Verify that your name and address are correct and click “Request Absentee Ballot.”
  • If this is your first time requesting an absentee ballot, you’ve moved, or you’ve changed your name since you submitted your photo ID, you’ll have to add a picture of your photo ID. 
    • Click the green “Upload Photo ID” button, choose “Take Photo,” snap a picture of your photo ID, and click “Use Photo.” A smartphone makes this extra simple! 
    • Note: Make sure you take a photo of the acceptable government-issued photo ID you would use to vote in person—a selfie’s not gonna cut it here!  
  • Once your photo is there, click “Continue”, and choose which elections you want to receive a ballot for this year.
  • Finally, review your request, certify that your information is correct, and click “Request Ballot.”
  • You’re all set!  

And if you have any questions or issues, please give us a call on the Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232. We are here to help!

How to request an absentee ballot by mail:

  • If you have a printer at home, print and fill out this form, then mail it to your municipal clerk. That’s it!   
  • If you don’t have a printer, call your municipal clerk and ask them to mail an application to your home. Then fill it out and return it. So simple! 

If this is your first time voting by mail or if you’ve moved or changed your name since you last submitted your ID, you’ll need to mail in a copy of your photo ID. If you don’t have a way to print a copy at home, call your local library or municipal clerk to see if they can help.  

Always feel free to call our Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232 to help you with any issues! We are here to help!

Completing & Returning an Absentee Ballot


  • Find a witness who is a US citizen and over the age of 18—this person can be a family member, friend, neighbor, or total stranger. 
  • Show your blank ballot to your witness. They should watch you complete your ballot, but not see who you’re actually voting for.
  • When you’re done, fold your ballot & seal it inside the certificate envelope that came with the ballot. 
  • Fill out the certification on the envelope and make sure that any pre-filled fields are correct. Sign your name on the line above “Signature of Voter.”
  • Then, give the envelope to your witness and make sure they completely fill out the “Certification of Witness” section. They have to write their complete address, including street address, municipality, state, and zip code. They also need to print their name above “Witness Printed Name” and sign the line above “Witness Signature.”

IMPORTANT: Double check your envelope before you put it in the mail or drop it off! If your envelope does not have your signature, your witness’s signature, your witness’s printed name, and your witness’s complete address, it might not be counted!


  • Mail back your absentee ballot as soon as you’ve filled it out! Ballots must be received by 8pm on Election Dayto be counted. 
    • Mailing back your ballot in the return envelope is the simplest, easiest, and safest way to have your vote counted! 
    • The US Postal Service says you should mail it at least one week before Election Day so there’s enough time for it to be delivered. But aim for 10 days before the election to make sure your vote is counted! 
    • If you’re going to drop off your ballot in person, you have to do it yourself (unless you’re disabled and need help). 
  • If you want to drop it off in person, take it to an early vote site or, in most municipalities, to your Election Day polling place.
  • If you are disabled and need help mailing or returning your absentee ballot due to your disability, you can have someone help you!
    • You can choose anyone to help you mail or return your ballot except your employer or union representative. Anyone else – friend, family, neighbor, anyone! – can help you. 
    • The clerk should not try to verify you are disabled or record your disability anywhere. They may ask your helper whose ballot it is and confirm that person is not your employer or union rep.
  • Absentee ballot dropboxes are not an option in Wisconsin.
    • The Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled that clerks cannot use dropboxes to accept ballots. Instead, clerks must accept ballots through the mail or in person at the clerk’s office or an early vote site.

Voting in Person

On Election Day, polls are open 7am – 8pm. 

  • Find your polling place here
  • IMPORTANT: Polling places often move around from one election to the next. Make sure you double check where you’re supposed to vote, because it could be different than last time! 
  • You need to show an acceptable photo ID to vote. Jump down a section to learn which ID to bring when you vote.
  • If you are in line when polls close, stay in line. When the polls close at 8 pm, everyone in line will get a chance to vote. 
  • Call our Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232 if you have questions or issues voting on Election Day. We are here to help! 

Special In Person Voting Options:

Curbside Voting:

If you are elderly, having trouble moving or standing in line, immunocompromised, exposed to Covid-19, or unable to enter a polling place, you have the right to vote at the curb on Election Day instead of voting inside.

To vote curbside:

  • Be sure to have your valid photo ID ready.
  • Contact the poll workers from your car. There should be a sign with a number to call or a doorbell to ring. If you have trouble, just ask someone to help you find the number or ring the doorbell or get a poll worker’s attention. 
  • Two poll workers will come to your vehicle and assist you in voting without having to go inside.
  • If there is no signage or the bell does not work or you have other issues, please report this to our Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232. Our team will work with you to resolve the issue.

Photo ID Information

Wisconsin voters have to show an acceptable form of ID when voting in person or to request an absentee ballot. (There are of course a few small exceptions.) You probably already have an acceptable form of ID! Your photo ID does not need to show your current address.

These kinds of ID are valid even if they’re expired, as long as they expired after November 8, 2022. These don’t need to show your current address:

  • A Wisconsin DMV-issued driver’s license (even if your driving privileges are suspended or revoked),
  • A Wisconsin DMV-issued photo ID, and
  • A United States passport. 

These kinds of ID need to be unexpired (but don’t need to show your current address):

  • Veteran’s photo ID issued by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs,
  • Certificate of naturalization issued less than 2 years before the date of the election in which you are voting, 
  • Driving receipt or ID card receipt issued by the Wisconsin DMV (valid for 45 days), and
  • Wisconsin DMV ID petition process photo receipt (valid for 60 days).

These kinds of ID can be expired regardless of when they expired (even before November 8, 2022):

  • Tribal ID card from a federally recognized tribe in Wisconsin, and
  • Student ID card from a Wisconsin-accredited university or college, if it is accompanied by proof of current enrollment.


A student ID card only works if it’s from a Wisconsin-accredited university, college, or technical college and contains:

  • Your name,
  • Your photo,
  • Your signature,
  • The date the card was issued, and
  • An expiration date that shows that the card expires no later than two years after the card was issued.
    • If your card is expired, you must also provide proof of enrollment (e.g., an enrollment verification letter, tuition fee receipt, or class schedule).

If you have trouble getting a photo ID from your college or university, call the Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232, and we will help you get one! We are here to help! 

Frequently Asked Questions

So you’ve got questions. We’ve got answers!

Below are some of the questions we get most frequently. Voting can lead to some questions, but overall, it is simple, safe, and easy. If you want to learn more or discuss your questions, you can always call the Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232. We are here to help!

Can I register on Election Day?

  • You sure can! Just remember to bring your Proof of Residence and Photo ID.

Where’s my polling place?

  • Find your Election Day polling place – and the date of the next election – right here

Where can I find an early ote site in my municipality?

  • We’ve got a super helpful list at vote.wisdems.org/ev
  • Just scroll down to the map of Wisconsin, click your county, then click your town or city. A list of known early vote sites will pop right up! You can vote at any early voting site in your municipality.
  • We have a team of volunteers who collect this information during the lead-up to elections, so if the info you need isn’t there yet, just check back closer to the next election!
  • Or call us at 608-336-3232 and we’ll get right on it! 

Do I have to show proof of residence every time I vote?

  • Nope! You only need to show proof of residence when you are registering for the first time, or if you have moved and need to re-register at a new address. 
  • But you do have to show Photo ID every time you vote.

Can I vote in person if I requested an absentee ballot?

  • Yes, unless you’ve already returned your ballot. 
  • That means if you already put your completed absentee ballot back in the mail or returned it to your clerk’s office, then you cannot vote in person. That would be voting twice.
  • If you got your ballot mailed to you but haven’t returned it yet, you can vote in person! It’s best to bring your uncompleted ballot with you and have the clerk destroy it to make sure you don’t vote twice. 

I’m temporarily staying away from the address where I’m registered to vote, and I’m having my mail forwarded. Will my absentee ballot get forwarded with the rest of my mail?

  • No! You have to specifically request that your ballot be sent to the address where you want it delivered.
  • This is to keep you safe. As a security measure, ballots are not forwarded with your other mail. 
  • If you’re worried about your ballot making it to the correct address, contact your municipal clerk to confirm the address where you’d like it sent. Super easy! 

My driver’s license has my old address—can I still use it as my photo ID for voting?

  • Yes! If you’re already registered at your current address, you can use your driver’s license with your old address as your photo ID.
  • However, if you’re not registered at your current address, you’ll need to re-register where you live now. To re-register, you’ll need proof of residence with your current address (so your license with your old address won’t work as proof of residence, but something else with your full name and current address will). 

I want to vote using an absentee ballot in 2024. When can I request my absentee ballot?

I’m a student in Wisconsin and I want to vote here instead of at my parent’s house out-of-state. Can I do that?

  • Yes! If you’ve lived in Wisconsin longer than 28 days before an election, you’re eligible to register and vote here—and it’s great that you want to have a say in the laws that affect your education in Wisconsin! 
  • Remember, of course, you can’t vote in both places.
  • Scroll up to the Proof of Residence and Photo ID sections to see what you can use as proof of residence and photo ID. 
  • If you have any questions, call the hotline at 608-336-3232. We are here to help! 

Can I ask my spouse/roommate/friend/child to bring my completed ballot to my municipal clerk’s office?

  • Probably not. You only can have someone drop off your ballot if you need help because of a disability. 
  • If you are not disabled, having anyone else return your ballot is illegal. Unless you’re disabled and need help, you must return your ballot yourself. 

What does this mean about when I should request and return my absentee ballot?

  • It means as soon as possible! Even right here, right now! 
  • It takes time for the ballot to get to you and then to get back to the clerk to be counted. Give yourself plenty of time by requesting and returning your ballot as soon as you can

Can I still put my ballot in the dropbox that my city has out? 

  • No! Ballot dropboxes are not permitted under state law. Ballots can only be returned by mail or in person to the clerk’s office or an early vote site. Do not put your ballot in any type of dropbox. 

My clerk used the mail slot attached to city hall for voters to return absentee ballots. Can I still put my ballot there?

  • Probably not! It’s not 100% clear whether or not this is allowed. But your vote is important, so be extra safe: drop it off in person yourself at the clerk’s office or mail it back in the return envelope. 

Is it still safe and secure to vote absentee?

  • Yes, absolutely! Voting absentee is safe, secure, and easy – and millions of Wisconsinites do it every election. 
  • You just need to give yourself enough time. Request your ballot as soon as you can and return it as soon as you’ve filled it out. For your vote to count, your clerk has to receive it no later than 8pm on Election Day.

What if I have declared myself indefinitely confined so I get an absentee ballot mailed to me in every election?

  • The absentee voting rules are the same for everyone
  • That means return your ballot as soon as you can. If you are disabled and need help, you are allowed to have someone help you, as long as they’re not your employer or union representative. 

If I’m disabled and need assistance, will I have to submit medical documentation to get help?

  • No. Your clerk should not ask you or the person who helps you to prove or swear that you are disabled.
  • If your clerk tries to make you submit any documentation, call the WisDems Voter Assistance Hotline at 608-336-3232 and we will work with you to solve the issue.

If I’m disabled and need assistance, will my helper need to prove their identity or sign something if they return my ballot to the clerk’s office?

  • No. Your clerk should not require your helper to sign anything, write down their name or address, or show ID.
  • At most, your clerk may ask your helper two questions: (1) whether they are returning the ballot on behalf of a voter who asked for their help due to a disability, and (2) whether they are your employer or your union representative. If your helper answers “yes” to the first and “no” to the second, your ballot will be accepted.

What qualifies as ‘disabled’?

  • You have to make that call
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act defines a disability as “a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities,” including “an impairment that is episodic or in remission” — in other words, any condition, including a non-permanent one, that limits your major life activities (for instance caring for yourself, walking, standing, seeing, hearing, etc.)
  • It is up to you as an individual to decide whether your situation meets this criteria. Remember, clerks should not ask you or your helper for proof of disability.

If there are multiple people in my household who are disabled and need assistance returning our ballots, can we all use the same person to help us?

  • Yes! One person can help many voters, as long as the helper is not any of the voters’ employer or union rep. 

Questions? Call the Voter Assistance Hotline! 


Paid for by the Democratic Party of Wisconsin, Ben Wikler, Chair